When you start keto, it can be so confusing, which leads to you asking 101 questions about the foods you want to eat, such as, Are Pistachio Nuts Keto?, Can I eat Pistachio nuts on Keto? We have all been there, don’t worry. Here, we will answer all of your questions, including how many net carbs are in Pistachio nuts, what an average serving size is, and overall whether Pistachio nuts are keto approved. [SPOILER ALERT: Yes, Pistachio nuts are keto-friendly.] Just remember to be careful as to how many you eat so as to not go over your carb allowance.
Read on to find out more, including the BEST low carb, high-fat nuts, and seeds to eat on keto.
- How Many Net Carbs Are There In Pistachio nuts?
- Are Pistachio Nuts Keto?
- A Bit Of Info Around Pistachio nuts
- Top Tips For Eating Pistachio nuts on Keto
- Keto Recipes With Nuts & Seeds
- Which Are The Best Nuts & Seeds For Keto?
- So, Are Pistachio Nuts Keto?
Nuts and seeds can be a great snack, whether you’re busy on the go with the children, whether you need a snack to take to the movies, or you need something to get you through a busy day at work as you bounce from meeting to meeting.
Life is busy enough for all of us without then having to consider self-care. Yes, good nutrition and fueling your body with what it needs is self-care.
We need to look after our bodies, in order for our bodies to look after us.
Nuts and seeds can be a great way to get key nutrients into your diet so you can avoid having to take supplements.
What is more is that they are a great source of healthy fats, which will help you reach your keto macros.
However, what you have to be mindful of, is that some nuts and seeds are higher in carbs than others. So, a serving of one type may have up to 5x the number of carbs as a serving of a different type.
Let’s get into it, and find out, Are Pistachio Nuts Keto?
How Many Net Carbs Are There In Pistachio nuts?
In 100 grams / 3.5 oz of Pistachio nuts, there are 28 grams of TOTAL carbs.
However, it is not this number that we are interested in. We are interested in the number of NET carbs in Pistachio nuts.
Net carbs are calculated by subtracting the amount of fiber from the food’s total carb count.
For more on net carbs, and how to calculate these check out our article which is dedicated to net carbs.
Therefore, per 100 g / 3.5 oz of Pistachio nuts, there are 18 grams of net carbs.
Let’s break that down for you;
Total Carbs In Pistachio nuts: 28
Total Fiber In Pistachio nuts: 10
****SUM = 28 – 10 = 18****
Therefore, per 100g of pistachio nuts, there are 18 grams of net carbs.
Eating 100g of any nut or seed would be a lot in one go.
So, What Is The Average Serving Size Of Pistachio nuts
The average serving size of a portion of pistachio nuts is 45 grams or 1/4 cup, 1.5 oz, depending on whether you are working in imperial or metric.
This means that there are 8.1 NET carbs per serving of pistachio nuts.
Are Pistachio Nuts Keto?
Yes, Pistachio nuts are keto-friendly, but do have a relatively high carb count, so should only be eaten in small quantities.
Just remember to be careful as to how many you eat so as to not go over your carb allowance
A Bit Of Info Around Pistachio nuts
If you are interested in finding out more about the foods that you are eating. You may be interested in the below about pistachio nuts.
Pistachio nuts are grom in Iran and the Middle East as well as in California and Arizona.
Pistachio trees take a long time to grow, and they are a labor-intensive crop to grow, which is what makes them so expensive.
FUN FACT: Pistachio nuts are actually a seed
Top Tips For Eating Pistachio nuts on Keto
As we have noted above, it can be easy to overeat nuts and seeds on keto.
Eating too many carbs on keto can be one of the reasons that you may end up with a keto stall, for most, this is something that you will want to avoid.
There are some other things that you need to look out for too.
To help you out, we have drawn together some of our top tips for eating nuts and seeds on keto.
- Only buy plain nuts, some are sold with flavors or added sugars that are not keto friendly. Stay clear of these as they may knock you out of ketosis and ruin your keto goals. This does not mean that you cannot ‘jazz’ up your plain nuts with keto approved sweeteners or flavors. Check out our article on homemade paprika almonds, great for tapas or just as a snack.
- Nuts and seeds can be expensive, but if bought in bulk you can normally save a lot of money. If you are doing keto on a budget, saving money wherever you can is essential.
- When you buy your nuts or seeds, weigh them out into individual portion sizes. Store them in an airtight container.
- Nuts and seeds can be easy to overeat. This will mean that you may be inadvertently eating too many carbs for your macros. Portioning them out will stop you from overeating them. What’s more, by portioning out your nuts or seeds in advance, they are quick to grab on the go. This can be particularly useful if you are planning on drinking alcohol and may not have the willpower that you would normally.
If you are new to keto, our keto beginners guide may be an interesting read for you. Or, if any of the terminologies has been confusing, we’ve got our keto terms guide, and keto abbreviations guide, which may be of use to you.
Keto Recipes With Nuts & Seeds
There are plenty of amazing keto recipes that contain nuts or seeds, they do not have to be something that you are afraid of eating on a keto diet.
Almond flour and coconut flours are two of the main ‘regular’ flour substitutes used in keto baking.
For some of our favorites, check out these articles
Which Are The Best Nuts & Seeds For Keto?
The best nuts to eat on keto, in terms of having the lowest number of net carbs per serving are as follows;
The best seeds to add to your keto salads or keto cooking are;
So, Are Pistachio Nuts Keto?
In summary, Yes, Pistachio nuts are keto-friendly. Just remember to be careful as to how many you eat so as to not go over your carb allowance.
What are your favorite nuts and seeds to eat on keto? Do you have any particularly innovative ways to use these?
Let us know in the comments below in order to share your top tips with the whole community.